Whether you want to learn some steps in Appalachian Flatfooting & Clogging, discover new ways to put steps together, or understand how the dance fits with traditional music so that you can improvise like you were born in a holler, I have a variety of resources to help you! Scroll on to see the various online courses and resources I offer!
Hop up on the porch and let's get started! And don't forget to join the free Facebook Community before you go!
• You feel confident in your dancing and like “one of the cool kids” as you tear up the dance floor with your new moves!
• You know tons of versatile steps, instead of just the same 3 or 4 you keep learning at festivals and workshops!
• You’re part of a community of like-minded souls, full of enthusiasm, kindness, and zest for living that inspire you on your path!
• Complete instruction on three foundational basic steps--the building blocks for all your future dancing, broken down and so easy a child could follow it.
• Explanation of how the dance steps fit with the music, which is often overlooked, but SO important in helping you to dance with grace and musicality!
• Practice session with a slow old-time tune going through the steps slowly so that you can build muscle memory, and eventually cut loose at your next jam session, festival, or just in your living room!
- Lizzy T.
"I feel like as a beginner with no experience I’ve learned SO MUCH and that is a testament to the amazing teaching ability of Carla. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. This is hands down THE BEST way to learn flatfooting!"
- Maddy M.
“I have always told myself the story that "I can't pick up steps, otherwise I'd be a decent dancer" But your really clear instructions and videos have increased my confidence no end. I have always LOVED watching flatfooters at festivals, but your course has finally made it all click. I am finally NOT frustrated!”
• Virtually travel along to a different Kentucky locale each session. We'll visit a different county each time, and hear lots of fiddle and banjo tunes!
• Listen to interviews with the musicians, telling about their background in the music, and how they learned the tunes they're going to share. One of the beautiful things about learning Appalachian culture from actual mountain folks is the context and background they offer!
• Receive a video of Carla dancing along to the tune, improvising on the fly, AND receive a video dance lesson to go with each tune, breaking down the steps, ideas, and tips to help you improvise with that specific tune.
You might not be able to travel through Kentucky right this minute, but in this 6-session online course, you'll come along with me as I do, hanging out on porches, chatting about tunes, seeing me jam with the musicians, and hearing them tell about where they learned the music and how they got their start.
Then, when we get back home, I break it down for you in a dance class showing steps and ideas for improvising with each tune!
• Go from dance overwhelm to feeling confident and comfortable in your body
• Build your vocabulary of Appalachian Dance Steps with 8 modules and 75 instructional videos to work through at your own pace!
• Become a fluent dancer and improviser with weekly group coaching from Carla
- Beth C.
“We just wrapped up this session of the AFCA and I can’t tell you all how awesome it was! I know I might be preaching to the choir. But if you haven’t taken it, and you’re interested in this style of dance–DO IT!!!
I’ll admit, the price made me hesitate at first, but I have NO regrets. The amount of information, the personal support, and the history that’s included with the dance lessons–just WOW!
Carla has created something so important in preserving and passing down a slice of Appalachian culture. You will never find a more patient, encouraging, or giving teacher!”
"Every week was a new win. For the first time in my life, I feel like I can call myself a dancer!! If you’re thinking of taking this course DO IT!! If Carla can teach me, she can teach anyone!'
• Enjoy original songs, banjo tunes, and mountain ballad downloads from the hills of East Kentucky
• Learn the basics of mountain percussive dance in my free instructional video “3 Essential Steps for Appalachian Flatfooting & Clogging”
• Snag our video guide to making your own herbal tinctures along with homey recipes from our family!
• Stay in touch about all things Appalachia with my fun weekly email, like a front-porch visit in your inbox!
Website by Tracy Raftl Design
© 2022 Carla Gover
Carla is currently based in Lexington, KY, ancestral lands of the Adena, Hopewell, S’atsoyaha (Yuchi), Shawandasse Tula (Shawanwaki/Shawnee), ᏣᎳᎫᏪᏘᏱ Tsalaguwetiyi (Cherokee, East), and Wazhazhe Maⁿzhaⁿ (Osage) nations.
Online Press Kit
A hearty helping of Appalachian goodness with lots of tools to help you stay happy and sane, including Kentucky songs and tunes, a Flatfooting & Clogging Video Class, our guide to making your own herbal tinctures, a creativity handbook, mountain recipes, and more!